Monday, April 14, 2008

Me and the Other Guys - 1966 Indiana

Me and the Other Guys were one of 50-60 bands competing in the "Clash of the Combos" at the Indiana State fairgrounds, Nov. 1966. The winning band (I don't know what band yet) was to have a feature article in the Indianapolis Star Sunday Magazine (anyone?, any help here?). 2nd and 3rd place were given trophies. Not a Grammy for sure, but would be really cool to find one of these!

Carnegie Music Center, 2740 Madison Avenue, Indianapolis (hey, it's long gone), provided an amp used by the Beatles on their latest tour. The Vox was insured for $50,000 and even had it's own armed guard to protect it while it was being used. Still need a list of bands from the show....

Pictured are:
front row band:
Paul Adams
Dave Galloway
Jerry Steward
Back row band:
Bill Bird
John Neargardner

Also pictured are from Carnegie Music Center:
Paul Sedlak - Manager
Richard Mellor - Owner

I don't know of any 45's by the band, but there is a Me and the Other Guys on Boss, credited to Florida. Not the Boss label of Louisville, but who knows.....

4 comments:

Jeffers66 said...

Me & The Other Guys on Boss were a real Florida band, led by Dutch Walton, with Kent Lavoie, later known as Lobo.

vinylfool said...

Thanks Jeff. I didn't think there was a connection, but I had to mention it. Wonder how many Boss labels there were?

jennifer said...

I do believe my dad was the drummer for a while in this band in the late 60's in Florida. No mention of his name anywhere. I have an 45 record with the song "runaround girl" -jennifer

vinylfool said...

Jennifer, maybe Jeff can help you with the Florida band. You can e*mail me your dads name and info, and I can pass it along.
This is from a website:
Me And The Other Guys included Billy Aerts, Chuck Doughtery, Kent LaVoie, Leon Massey and Dutch Walton.

I don't vouch for it's accuracy.
Tim